Life doesn’t make much sense.
We aren’t given a rulebook or instructions for navigating our existence on this crazy spaceship we call home.
And because of this lack of instruction, we seem to fuck things up every step of the way.
I’ve been lucky so far.
At (almost) 23 years of age, I’ve successfully:
- Built a 6-figure career doing work I love (from my laptop…in other countries…as a college dropout).
- Found and married the woman of my dreams (and had enough dating experience to know it’s “the real deal”).
- Ghost-written best-selling books for my dream clients
- Traveled to 13 countries on my own dime
- Survived and recovered from a 6-month cocaine addiction (haven’t touched the powder in years).
And had a few other quick wins here and there.
But I don’t have everything figured out. Far from it. In fact, some days I feel like I’m only a few breaths away from a complete mental breakdown. Despite my income, my finances are still fucked. I still struggle to be productive and stay focused on things that matter. I act like an asshole to people who don’t deserve it and a pushover toward people who need to get punched in the teeth.
I’ve achieved some success…but I’m a far cry from the man I want to be.
And, as a reminder of who that man is (and how I can get closer to living in alignment with my “highest self” every single day), I’ve aggregated some of the best lessons I’ve learned from my mentors, coaches, and teachers over the years.
So, without any further ado, here are the 26 pieces of wisdom I’ve learned from 9-figure empire builders, billionaire real estate entrepreneurs, best-selling authors, crazy hippies, and of course, my psychedelic teachers.
These lessons have worked for them. They’ve worked for me. And maybe, they’ll work for you too.
1. Read every day and a lot more than you think you need to. You have things to learn and mistakes to avoid.
2. Be more assertive. You have an agreeable disposition and that’s great. But without checks and balances, you open yourself up to manipulation and unnecessary stress.
3. Say it with me, “You don’t have to be right in every situation.” Sometimes, it’s best to just let it go.
4. Stop watching porn. It’s a waste of time and adds nothing of value to your life.
5. Remember: no matter where you are, you have exactly what you need and everything will eventually be ok.
6. Delegate more regularly and intensely. You
don’t need to can’t do everything by yourself.
7. Stop trying to “be the man”. Ask for help when you need it and let go of your insatiable desire for more. Successful but miserable is no way to live.
8. Don’t always try to make things easier. Make yourself better. The strenuous life is the only life worth living.
9. Innoculate yourself against stress and overwhelm. Lift heavy shit, take ice baths, run long distances. Masochism (in small doses) is a virtue…and highly enjoyable in the bedroom 😉
10. Never forget that you have it better than most. Be grateful and give back to those less fortunate (But don’t be a sucker).
11. Be nice to yourself. You’re doing better than you think you are and self-flagellation serves no one.
12. Start every week with a plan and update that plan daily. You’re too ADHD to succeed without this kind of structure.
13. Commit to ruthless organization. A place for everything and everything in its place. Life is easier, smoother, and more effective when you have your shit together.
14. Stop spending so much goddamn money on shit you don’t need. You have time to enjoy the luxuries of life. Use this time to build an antifragile financial infrastructure.
15. Spend more time in silence and introspection. Solitude and silence are invaluable teachers.
16. Use drugs strategically. They can enhance or destroy your life.
17. Don’t fetishize success. Every new level comes with new problems. Be here now and appreciate this level of the game.
18. Stop arguing with idiots. It frustrates you and accomplishes nothing. Only engage with those who are open to new points of view.
19. Seek practicality, not luxury. $500 spent on Brazilian Jujitsu or a faster laptop is better than $500 for a swankier apartment.
20. Pay your fucking taxes. Seriously. Pay. Your. Fucking. Taxes.
21. Simplify your life. Eliminate unnecessary decisions. Focus on your area of genius. Ignore the non-essential.
22. Laugh. You’re going to die and so will everyone else. Nothing you do matters and you should find it hilarious when your ego causes you to care too much.
23. Spend time with people who have the life you want and who think and live 10-years ahead of where you are today.
24. Give more love to Ashton. She deserves it.
25. If you’re stealing from yourself in the present to achieve a greater dream, make goddamn sure it is your dream.
26. Keep fucking going. The pain won’t last forever.
Bonus: Have more sex. Seriously. When you have ever regretted it? (That one time notwithstanding…)
This is by no means a comprehensive list. To many of you, it might even seem nonsensical.
But these are the lessons I wish I had learned sooner. Lessons that would have saved me untold stress, headache, and frustration.
Hopefully, you can learn from them to avoid the same mistakes I’ve made and improve your life…if even in a small way.